As a busy home cook, I’m always looking for shortcuts that make meal preparation simple yet still taste homemade. One pantry staple I rely on is rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Pre-cooked chicken is so convenient on busy nights. However, I’ve often wondered, can you freeze rotisserie chicken to keep it on hand even longer? In this blog post, I’ll share everything you need to know about whether it’s safe and effective to freeze cooked store-bought rotisserie chicken for later use in recipes. By learning the proper techniques, freezing rotisserie chicken can be a valuable way to save time in the kitchen without sacrificing quality or safety.
Can you freeze rotisserie chicken?
Hey, can you freeze rotisserie chicken? Absolutely. Freezing cooked rotisserie chicken is a great way to keep it fresh for future meals. Whether you want to make sandwiches, soups, wraps, salads, or just reheat and eat it as is, freezing is the way to go. And you can freeze the whole chicken or cut it into portions, whichever works for you.
Can you freeze store bought rotisserie chicken?
Want to save time on meal prep? You can totally freeze store bought rotisserie chicken. It’s a convenient way to have protein on hand for those last-minute meals. Plus, you don’t need to do much extra prep since it’s already cooked and seasoned. Just make sure you use proper freezing techniques to keep the chicken tasting great and avoid freezer burn. You can even freeze a whole rotisserie chicken for later use.
Why need to freeze rotisserie chicken?
If you’re wondering how long your store-bought or homemade rotisserie chicken will stay fresh, we’ve got the answer. By storing it in the fridge, you can only keep it for a few days. But, if you freeze it, you can extend its shelf life for up to three months. Just remember to trust your senses – if it looks, smells, or feels off, it’s time to toss it out. Stay food-safe and enjoy your chicken for longer.
Equipment needed to freeze rotisserie chicken
Here’s what you need to freeze rotisserie chicken: an airtight container or Ziploc bag. Don’t forget to squeeze out the air or use a vacuum sealer for extra protection. And make sure to label it with the date and type of chicken so you know how long it’s been in there. No freezer burn, just tasty chicken.
Ways to freeze rotisserie chicken
Don’t let your leftover rotisserie chicken go to waste. Learn how to store it in the freezer with these simple instructions. Perfect for soups, salads, wraps, and sandwiches, frozen rotisserie chicken can easily be shredded and portioned. To freeze your boneless rotisserie chicken, follow these steps:
1. Let the chicken cool completely before handling. This will prevent any burns while cutting it up. For best results, refrigerate overnight to avoid condensation buildup in the containers that could affect the taste and texture once thawed.
2. Remove the meat from the bone after it has cooled. Shred it or store it in larger pieces, depending on your preference.
3. Consider how much you’ll consume within a few days of defrosting to prevent spoilage, and portion the meat accordingly.
4. Place the portioned rotisserie chicken into small freezer bags or airtight containers. If using bags, make sure to press out all the air before sealing. For containers, consider using plastic wrap to minimize the risk of freezer burn.
5. Don’t forget to label the bags or containers with the date and contents for easy organization.
6. Place the portioned rotisserie chicken in the freezer and use within four months for the best taste. Storing it longer may affect the flavor and texture.
How to freeze carved rotisserie chicken?
Want to know how to freeze your carved rotisserie chicken? It’s super simple. Just grab some sealable freezer bags and portion out the chicken. Once it’s all in the bags, seal them up tight and remove any air. Then, pop them in the freezer and you’re good to go. Your chicken will stay fresh for up to 4 months.
How long to freeze rotisserie chicken last?
Well, according to the USDA, it can last for up to four months if you store it in an airtight container. But remember, the longer it stays frozen, the more it might lose its tasty flavor and texture.
How to thaw frozen rotisserie chicken?
The safest and easiest method is to pop it in the fridge. By doing this, you’ll keep the chicken cool while it defrosts, ensuring it doesn’t get too warm.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Take the chicken out of the freezer at least 24 hours before you plan to eat it.
- Put it in a ziplock bag or container.
- Place it on a low shelf in the fridge and let it thaw completely.
- Make sure to cook it within 1-2 days of thawing.
Just remember, you’ll need to plan ahead with this method. Give yourself at least a day to defrost the chicken before you want to use it. The thawing time will vary depending on the size of the chicken. Chicken breasts, bone-in chicken, and whole chickens may take 1-2 days to thaw in the fridge.
How to reheat frozen rotisserie chicken?
Want to know the best way to reheat frozen rotisserie chicken? If you’re willing to put in a little extra effort, using the oven is the way to go. Not only will it keep the skin crispy, but the inside will stay moist and juicy. Just follow these steps for the tastiest results:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Take the rotisserie chicken out of its packaging and place it in an oven-safe dish. To keep it nice and moist, add a cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the dish. Then, cover it with aluminum foil and pop it in the oven.
- Let the chicken roast for about 25 minutes. Then, take off the foil and let it roast for an extra 5 minutes to get that mouthwatering skin.
- Take your chicken out of the oven and dig in.
What to serve with rotisserie chicken?
Looking for delicious sides to go with rotisserie chicken? We’ve got you covered. How about some creamy mashed potatoes, flavorful roasted veggies, or a refreshing Caesar salad? If you’re feeling cheesy, macaroni and cheese is always a winner. And let’s not forget classic corn on the cob or a healthy quinoa salad. Green beans, scalloped potatoes, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and rice pilaf are also tasty options.
Ways to use leftover rotisserie chicken
Got some rotisserie chicken? No worries. Check out these mouthwatering ways to give it a tasty makeover:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tacos: Spice up your tortillas with savory chicken, crispy bacon, and zesty ranch dressing.
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese: Take your mac and cheese game to the next level with a kick of buffalo chicken goodness.
- Chicken Cucumber Salad Sandwich: Freshen up your lunch routine with a delicious chicken and cucumber combo in a sandwich.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.