Pizza rolls are a beloved snack for many thanks to their convenience, portability, and delicious flavor combinations. Their popularity has only grown with the rise of air fryers, which allow you to quickly cook up crispy, mouthwatering pizza rolls in the comfort of your own home. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know how long to air fry pizza rolls and pizza roll perfection using your air fryer.
Why Choose Air Fryer Pizza Rolls?
Cooking pizza rolls in an air fryer offers many advantages over conventional oven baking or microwaving. The circulating hot air surrounds the pizza rolls from all sides, yielding an evenly crisp outer layer. Air frying also cooks the filling rapidly, preventing the dreaded frozen center in just a fraction of the time.
Compared to deep frying, air frying eliminates the need for oil, slashing calories. This makes it a healthier cooking method that allows you to enjoy guilt-free snacks and sides. Air fryers are very energy efficient, utilizing less electricity than an oven. Their compact size also reduces space usage. For quick weeknight dinners, party appetizers, or after-school snacks, air fryer pizza rolls can’t be beat.
Ingredients and Equipment
For homemade pizza rolls:
- Pizza dough
- Pizza or pasta sauce
- Fillings like cheese, pepperoni, veggies, etc.
- Parchment paper
- Cooking spray or oil
For frozen pizza rolls:
- Your favorite frozen pizza rolls!
- Air fryer
- Baking sheet or air fryer insert
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Rolling pin
- Cooling racks
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions
Follow these simple steps for perfect air fryer pizza rolls every time.
Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Make the dough according to recipe instructions. Let rest until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush a thin layer of sauce over the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Add filling ingredients.
- Starting from the long edge, roll up the dough into a log shape. Pinch edges to seal.
- Slice log into 1-inch pieces. Kids love helping with this part!
- Place pizza rolls seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly spray or brush with oil.
- Air fry at 400°F for 8-12 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown.
Frozen Pizza Rolls
- Allow frozen pizza rolls to thaw slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange in a single layer on air fryer insert or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Air fry at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway, until hot and crispy.
How Long To Air Fry Pizza Rolls? – Temperature and Timing
Use these air fryer times as a starting guide, adjusting as needed:
|Pizza Roll Type
- Smaller air fryers and overloaded batches may require slightly longer cook times.
- Higher altitudes above 3000 feet may need an extra 1-2 minutes.
- Check for doneness early and adjust time as needed for your particular air fryer model.
Advanced Cooking Tips
For extra crispy pizza rolls: After air frying, place rolls directly on oven rack under broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
To prevent explosions: Be sure to poke steam vents in each roll using a toothpick or fork before cooking. This lets steam escape.
For cheese-filled rolls: Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before eating so filling can set.
To avoid stickiness: Use parchment paper and spray oil for easy release.
Customization and Variations
The possibilities are endless when making homemade pizza rolls! Some tasty ideas:
- Mexican – Beans, salsa, corn, cilantro
- Greek – Spinach, feta, olives, artichoke hearts
- Thai – Chicken, peanuts, cilantro, curry powder
- Hawaiian – Ham, pineapple, red peppers
For holidays, make sweet dessert pizza rolls filled with pie fillings! Apple, pecan, pumpkin – yum.
Air fryer pizza rolls are lower in fat and calories than their deep-fried counterparts. However, refined flour and high sodium levels mean they still should be enjoyed in moderation.
Homemade pizza rolls (1 roll): Around 110 calories, 3g fat, 210mg sodium
Frozen pizza rolls (1 roll): Varies by brand, but approximately 130 calories, 5g fat, 250mg sodium
Homemade pizza dough is inexpensive, especially when made in bulk. Buying frozen pizza rolls can cost $1 or more for just 6-8 rolls!
Making your own allows endless combinations for just pennies per roll. Kids can help prepare them for easy, affordable family meals.
Storage and Reheating
After air frying, pizza rolls are best consumed right away for maximum crispness. However, leftovers can be stored and reheated.
To store: Let cool completely, then place in airtight container in fridge for 2-3 days or freeze for 2-3 months.
To reheat: Place in air fryer at 300°F for 4-5 minutes until hot and crispy. Can also reheat in microwave; add a splash of water to recrisp crust.
Pizza rolls pair wonderfully with so many sides and drinks!
- Sides: Marinara sauce, ranch dressing, crispy fries
- Drinks: Sparkling water, soda, lemonade, iced tea, hot chocolate
Try a pizza roll bar with fun mix-and-match dipping sauces and beverages for parties!
Pizza rolls not crispy? Increase air fry temp to 400°F. Spray or brush rolls with a little oil before cooking.
Rolls bursting open? Use a toothpick to poke steam vents in each roll before air frying.
Dough tearing when rolling? Let dough warm up to room temp before rolling. Slowly stretch rather than forcing.
Still having issues? Ask your air fryer pizza roll questions below!
Get Creative in the Kitchen
What’s your favorite pizza roll flavor combo? Share your own tips and tricks in the comments!
Post photos of your unique pizza roll creations. I’d love to see reader takes on this classic snack!
Be Kind to the Planet
When making pizza rolls at home, minimize waste by only preparing what you will eat in one sitting. Compost any remaining dough scraps and use parchment paper for easy cleanup.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
The options are endless with air fryers! Here are a few other delicious recipes to experiment with:
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Donuts
Conclusion: How Long To Air Fry Pizza Rolls
Air frying makes enjoying golden, crispy pizza rolls simpler and healthier than ever. Follow this guide for guaranteed success when cooking frozen or homemade pizza rolls. Feel free to get creative with unique flavor combinations and share your kitchen adventures. Happy air frying.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.