Are you curious about how much dough for a 12 inch pizza? Is it an affordable indulgence or an extravagance? A home-cooked meal, delivered to your doorstep in minutes, often comes with a bigger dent in our wallet than we like. But don’t worry – this blog post will help you figure out which type of pizza is best for your budget. You can also find tips on keeping the craving cost effective and useful advice on when to splurge. So stick around because it doesn’t matter if you’re a crust lover, topping enthusiast or cheese head – everyone wants to know: How much dough for a 12 inch pizza?
How Much Dough For A 12 Inch Pizza?
To determine “how much dough for a 12 inch pizza”, approximately 255 grams or 285 grams is recommended. It is also beneficial to understand the dimensions of the pizza pan. For a 12-inch pizza, a 13 x 9-inch baking pan is suitable, whereas a 14-inch pizza will fit in a 15 x 10-inch pan.
How To Calculate The Dough For A 12-Inch Pizza?
To calculate “how much dough for a 12 inch pizza”, follow these steps:
- Determine the desired type of dough. For example, let’s consider a Neapolitan dough weighing 250 grams.
- Use the formula for the area of a circle: A = π * R^2. Since the pizza has a diameter of 12 inches, the radius (R) is half of that, which is 6 inches.
- Calculate the area: A = 3.14 * 6 * 6 = 113 square inches.
- Now, determine the ratio between a 16-inch pizza and a 12-inch pizza. A 16-inch pizza has an area of 200 square inches.
- Calculate the dough weight for a 12-inch pizza using the ratio: dough weight = (200 / 113) * 250 = 442 grams.
How To Make Dough For A 12 Inch Pizza?
After knowing how much dough for a 12 inch pizza, here are some guides for making dough.
To make a 12-inch pizza dough, we need the following ingredients:
To make dough for a 12-inch pizza, follow these steps:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Stir until well mixed.
- Slowly add water to the mixture while stirring. Continue to stir until the dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes either using a stand mixer or by hand. This helps develop gluten, giving the dough elasticity.
- Once kneaded, place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest in a warm place for about an hour.
- After an hour, the yeast will cause the dough to rise and become fluffy.
How To Shape Pizza Dough?
To shape pizza dough, follow these steps:
- Begin by dusting your hands and counter with flour or semolina to prevent sticking.
- Place the dough ball on the work surface and start pressing it with your fingers, leaving about a half-inch around the edge untouched to form the outer rim.
- With both hands, gently place them on the dough and slowly stretch it by moving your hands away from each other while rotating the dough in a comfortable direction.
Tips For Making The Perfect Pizza Dough
Beside knowing how much dough for a 12 inch pizza, making homemade pizza dough is important and doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are a few tips for making sure that your pizza comes out perfectly every time:
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before starting.
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
- Roll it out thinly to ensure that your pizza will be thin and crispy.
- Add your favorite toppings and bake on a preheated pizza stone or baking sheet for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees F (232 C).
You might be interested: what pizza places have cauliflower crust
How To Store Dough For A 12 Inch Pizza?
To store dough for a 12-inch pizza, follow these steps:
- After the first rise, or slightly before, refrigerate the dough. Cover it and store it in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- Ensure that there is enough room for the dough to expand as it continues to rise.
- After being refrigerated, the pizza dough will become more flavorful. However, keep in mind that the dough will deteriorate once the yeast has consumed all the available nutrients.
- When you’re ready to use the dough, take it out of the refrigerator, reshape it, and let it rise again. Make sure to cover it and keep it in a warm place. Keep in mind that the dough may take longer to rise due to its coldness.
- It’s crucial to wait for the dough to warm up and rise adequately. Otherwise, the gluten will be too tight, making it difficult to stretch the dough. Patience is key, and the end result will be worth the wait.
Additionally, if you prefer to freeze the entire raw pizza, you can do so by placing the dough on a greased or parchment-lined pan and then storing it in a plastic bag. When you’re ready to bake, allow the pizza to warm up to room temperature. If you want to store the already rolled or stretched dough, place it in the greased or parchment-lined pan you plan on using for baking, and cover it with plastic wrap. Ensure that you don’t refrigerate it for too long once it’s in the pan, as it may release moisture and stick to the bottom.
How To Choose The Right Pizza Pan?
You also know how to choose the right pizza pan for making the pizza after knowing how much dough for a 12 inch pizza. When selecting a pizza pan, there is an important consideration to make – whether to opt for a perforated or solid pan. A solid pan tends to yield a doughier, chewy crust, making it suitable for pan pizza and potentially hand-tossed pizza, depending on your dough recipe and personal taste. On the other hand, perforated pans facilitate better airflow, resulting in a crispier crust. In general, the number of perforations directly correlates with the level of crispiness achieved.
Baking The Pizza
To bake the perfect pizza, follow these steps:
Preheating The Oven
- Preheat your standard home oven to 450°F (232°C).
- If using a pizza stone, remember to preheat it along with the oven for even cooking and a crispy crust.
Placing the Pizza In The Oven
- If using a baking sheet, carefully slide the pizza onto the middle rack of the oven.
- If using a pizza stone, gently place the pizza on the stone and slide it onto the middle rack of the oven.
Cooking Time And Temperature
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes.
- Adjust the cooking time and temperature as necessary for your oven and toppings.
Checking For Doneness
- To ensure a perfect pizza, check the crust. It should be golden brown and crispy.
- If the crust is still pale, bake for a few more minutes.
- If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pizza with foil and continue baking.
Remember, preheating, proper placement, and monitoring the crust will lead to a delicious pizza every time.
Adding Toppings For Pizza
How Much Toppings Do I Need For A 12-Inch Pizza?
Toppings for pizza:
- Broccolini or broccoli (blanch first) and pancetta/speck/bacon
- Potato, sausage, pancetta/speck/bacon
- Gorgonzola and mushroom
- Black olives, anchovies, capers
- Gorgonzola, radicchio
- Capers, anchovies, eggplant, capsicum
- Mixed sliced mushrooms and garlic
- Rocket, sliced fresh tomato, sliced pancetta
- Prawn, zucchini, basil, onion
- Ricotta, cherry tomato, baby spinach
How Much Pizza Sauce Do I Need For A 12-Inch Pizza?
For a 12-inch pizza, it is recommended to use 1/4 cup of sauce. Spread the sauce evenly across the homemade pizza base, leaving a 1/2-inch border for the crust. After that, sprinkle 4.5 oz (130g) of mozzarella cheese and add your preferred toppings. If you need further guidance, you can check out our Favourite Pizza Topping recipes.
How Much Cheese Do I Need For A 12-Inch Pizza?
For a 12-inch pizza, a general rule of thumb would be to start with approximately 6 oz of cheese.
FAQs: Dough For 12 Inch Pizza
What size dough ball for 12 inch pizza?
Weight of dough ball – For a 12″ pizza, we recommend a 250g dough ball.
How much dough for 12 inch thin pizza?
For a 12-inch thin-crust pizza, it is recommended to use 225 grams of dough. This amount will be sufficient to create the desired thickness for your pizza. It’s important to note that if you prefer a thicker crust, you may need to increase the amount of dough accordingly. Additionally, deep-dish pizzas typically require a larger quantity of dough.
How much dough for 12 inch thick crust pizza?
For a 12-inch thick crust pizza, you will need approximately 255 grams or 285 grams of dough. It is also useful to consider the dimensions of your pizza pan. A 12-inch pizza will fit nicely in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, while a 14-inch pizza will fit in a 15 x 10-inch pan.
How much dough for 12 inch hand-tossed pizza?
For a 12-inch hand-tossed pizza, approximately 255 to 285 grams of dough is required. It is also beneficial to consider the dimensions of your pizza pan. In this case, a 12-inch pizza will fit well in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, while a 14-inch pizza will fit in a 15 x 10-inch pan.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.