Nothing quite hits the spot like a juicy smoked turkey leg. Whether you’re enjoying them at a Renaissance fair or picnic, these saucy, smoky drumsticks are the ultimate handheld snack. But what do you do when you have leftovers? Many improperly reheat smoked turkey legs, drying them out and diminishing their hearty flavor. However, with the right reheating method, you can enjoy those savory smoked legs all over again while keeping them tender and juicy. In this post, I’ll share my tried-and-true tips for how to reheat smoked turkey legs so you can savor every last bite of your leftovers.
Why are smoked turkey legs so popular?
People love them because they’re easier to cook than a whole turkey and they taste amazing, especially if you’re a dark meat fan.
These bad boys are a convenient on-the-go meal that you can find at theme parks, fairs, and Renaissance festivals. Smoked meat on a stick? Yes please. These massive turkey legs, as big as your forearm, are just begging to be devoured like a savage.
Where do you buy pre-smoked turkey legs?
You can grab pre-smoked turkey legs at most grocery stores, especially during the holiday season. I found mine at Walmart for about $7 a pop. You can also check out Costco, Kroger’s, Publix, and other big-name supermarkets. If you’re feeling tech-savvy, you can even order them online and have them delivered straight to your doorstep.
How to cook smoked turkey legs?
Want to know how to cook the tastiest smoked turkey legs? Here’s what you need to do:
1. Start by coating the turkey leg with some delicious olive oil and season it with either a bbq rub or a homemade chicken rub.
2. Get your smoker ready and set it to 225°F. Let the turkey leg smoke for about two hours or until its internal temperature reaches 145°F.
3. Once the turkey leg reaches 145°F, crank up the heat on your smoker to 275°F and brush some mouthwatering bbq sauce on the turkey.
4. Keep cooking the turkey leg until its internal temperature reaches a safe 165°F.
How to store leftover smoked turkey legs?
Got leftover smoked turkey legs? Here’s how to store it:
1. Let the turkey legs cool down.
2. Pop ’em in an airtight container or wrap ’em up real tight in plastic or tinfoil.
3. They’ll stay good for 3-4 days.
Should you season pre-smoked turkey legs before reheating?
Wanna make those pre-smoked turkey legs taste amazing? Give ’em some extra flavor by seasoning them with a low-sodium BBQ rub or poultry seasoning. This way, you won’t end up with a salty mess, but you’ll still get that irresistible BBQ taste we all crave. I’ve got a killer smoked chicken rub that I love to use, just cut the salt in half. You can also try any all-purpose BBQ rub you like.
Different methods on how to reheat smoked turkey legs
Want to know the best way on how to reheat smoked turkey legs? We recommend popping them in a low oven for the tastiest results. But hey, if you’re in a rush, the microwave will do the trick too.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs in oven?
When you’re ready to dig in again, simply place the legs in a baking dish, cover with a piece of foil, and pop it in a 350°F oven. Let it warm up for 45 minutes to an hour, and voila. Your turkey legs will be heated through and ready to enjoy all over again.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs in microwave?
Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by deboning the leg meat. Slice neatly from the thick part of the leg and then shred the rest. Make sure to remove any tendon or gristle.
2. Transfer the deboned meat to a microwaveable dish and add a few tablespoons of water or broth. Cover the dish with a lid or plastic film. Set the microwave to 50 percent power.
3. Heat the turkey in 30-second intervals, stirring periodically, until it is warmed through. The exact time will depend on your microwave’s power and the amount of smoked turkey you’re reheating. Generally, it should take 3 minutes or less.
4. Finally, serve the rewarmed turkey immediately with your favorite side dishes. Just remember to only microwave as much smoked turkey as you plan to eat in one meal. Once it cools, it can become dry and less appetizing.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs in air fryer?
Here’s a simple method: crank up your air fryer to 350 degrees F, give the basket a light spray or coat of oil, then pop those turkey legs in. In just 5-7 minutes, you’ll have perfectly heated and delicious turkey legs ready to enjoy.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs in smoker?
Want to know the best way on how to reheat smoked turkey legs in a smoker? Just follow these simple steps: First, set the smoker to low heat with some smoke (around 200-225 degrees). Then, use temperature probes to make sure the legs reach the desired temperature of 165°F. To ensure they stay juicy, try placing a water tray inside the smoke chamber. With these tips, you’ll have perfectly reheated turkey legs that are moist and delicious.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs in crock pot?
Want to know the best way to reheat smoked turkey legs in a crockpot? Here’s how:
1. Get your crockpot ready by setting it to LOW heat and adding water or broth to cover the bottom.
2. Carve your smoked turkey legs into pieces and place them in the crockpot.
3. Put the lid on and let it cook for about 45 minutes or until the turkey is warmed up throughout.
How to reheat smoked turkey legs on the grill?
Here’s how to do reheat smoked turkey on the grill for legs:
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Place the smoked turkey legs directly on the grill grates and close the lid.
- Let them warm up for about 10-15 minutes, flipping occasionally until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
How long to reheat smoked turkey legs?
Just grab a baking dish, cover the legs with foil, and pop them in a 350°F oven. In about 45 minutes to 1 hour, they’ll be heated through and ready to enjoy. Well, smoking times can vary depending on your grill. Personally, I use a Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill, and it usually takes me around 120 minutes to cook them all the way through. Just make sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F, which you can check with an instant read thermometer.
How to serve a smoked turkey leg?
There’s no set way to serve a smoked turkey leg, but here are some popular options:
- Serve it whole on a plate with your favorite side dishes like mashed potatoes and green beans.
- Slice it up and make sandwiches with your favorite toppings like coleslaw and BBQ sauce.
- Pull the meat off the bone and use it in recipes like soups, stews, or tacos.
- Cut it into chunks and add it to a salad for some extra protein.
FAQ: reheat smoked turkey legs
How do you reheat smoked turkey leg without drying it out?
Want to know the secret to reheating smoked turkey leg without it drying out? Well, forget about the microwave – that’s a recipe for disappointment. The best way to bring that leftover turkey back to life is by taking it slow and low. Step one: preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Step two: grab a baking dish, chuck in the carved meat, and add some chicken broth or turkey stock for extra juiciness. Step three: cover the whole thing tightly with foil and pop it in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes. And voila. You’ve got yourself some hot, juicy, perfectly reheated turkey.
Can you reheat a smoked turkey in air fryer?
Want to know if you can revive that scrumptious smoked turkey in your air fryer? Well, let’s dive into the world of air fryer cooking. It’s all the rage right now, just like the pressure cooker trend. It’s a healthy cooking option (depending on the recipe) and saves you time in the kitchen.
Now, here’s what you need to do: preheat your air fryer or Ninja Foodi to 300°F. Grab a baking dish that can fit in your air fryer, place the turkey in it, and moisten it. Cover it up with aluminum foil (check the instructions above for more details). Alternatively, you can wrap the turkey in foil instead of using a baking dish.
Alright, time to reheat that turkey. Cook it for about 8-10 minutes per pound of meat or until your leftovers reach a temperature of at least 160°F–165°F. Keep in mind that the 8-10 minutes guideline is based on two cups of turkey or around 1 pound. Adjust the cooking time accordingly based on how much turkey you have.
How long does it take to reheat chicken legs in the oven?
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Take your fried chicken out of the refrigerator and let it sit for about 10 minutes to half an hour. This helps the chicken reheat evenly and stay moist. Get a wire cake rack and place it on a baking sheet. Arrange the chicken on the rack, allowing hot air to circulate all around it. If you don’t have a wire rack, a foil-lined baking sheet will do. Put the tray in the center of your preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remember to check the chicken after 10 minutes for legs and thighs, and 15 minutes for breasts. Once the chicken is crispy and cooked to your liking, take it out of the oven.
How long to reheat chicken legs in oven at 350?
Want perfectly reheated chicken legs? Just pop them in the oven at 350 degrees. Simply place the tray in the center of your preheated oven and let it work its magic for about 15-20 minutes. Remember, cook times may vary depending on the size and type of your chicken cuts. To ensure juicy, tender chicken, check on those legs and thighs after 10 minutes, and breasts after 15 minutes.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.