Are you trying to diet but still want a delicious slice of pizza? Or do you just want to know exactly how many calories are in that slice of your favorite meal? Regardless of your reasons, understanding the calorie count in different kinds of pizza can be an important part of achieving and maintaining those health goals. Here, we explore how many calories are in a slice of pizza – so let’s dive right into it.
- 1 How Many Calories Are In A Slice Of Pizza?
- 2 Pizza Nutrition Facts
- 3 Why Does Pizza Have So Many Calories?
- 4 Can Pizza Fit Into a Healthy Diet?
- 5 Common Mistakes When Enjoying Pizza
- 6 Tips For Making Healthy Pizza Choices
- 7 Where Can I Get The Healthiest Pizza?
- 8 Tips For Eating Healthy And Enjoying Pizza
- 9 FAQ: Slice Of Pizza
How Many Calories Are In A Slice Of Pizza?
Calories In a Pizza Slice By Toppings
Based on nutrition data, each pizza slice typically contains an average of 250-350 calories. Pepperoni, cheese, and meat lovers’ thin crust pizza with extra cheese have a calorie range of 250 to 400. Specifically, pepperoni and cheese contribute approximately 260 to 280 kcal, while meat lovers’ pizza contains an estimated 577 kcal.
Calories In a Domino’s Pizza Slice
A medium hand-tossed Domino’s pizza slice contains approximately 200-290 calories.
Calories In a Papa John’s Pizza Slice
A single slice (117.000g) of PAPA JOHN’S 14” Cheese Pizza, Original Crust contains 304 calories. The calorie breakdown consists of 32% fat, 50% carbs, and 18% protein.
Calories In a Digiorno’s Pizza Slice
The calorie content of a 1/4 slice (227.000g) serving size of DIGIORNO Pizza, supreme topping, rising crust, frozen, baked is 579 calories. The distribution is as follows: 38% fat, 44% carbs, and 18% protein.
Calories In a Little Caesars Pizza Slice
The number of calories in a Little Caesars pizza slice is 245.7.
Pizza Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 285.
- Fat: 10.4g.
- Sodium: 640mg.
- Carbohydrates: 35.6g.
- Fiber: 2.5g.
- Sugars: 3.8g.
- Protein: 12.2g.
Why Does Pizza Have So Many Calories?
Pizza is considered a calorie-dense food due to its high calorie content relative to its volume. This can be attributed to its composition, which includes ingredients that are rich in fat and carbohydrates. The combination of the crust, cheese, toppings, and sauces contributes to the overall calorie count of pizza.
Can Pizza Fit Into a Healthy Diet?
If enjoyed in a reasonable serving size, pizza can indeed be a healthy component of a well-balanced diet. Enhance the nutritional value of your meal by pairing it with a side salad and opting for whole food toppings instead of ultra-processed options.
Common Mistakes When Enjoying Pizza
One common mistake when enjoying pizza is eating it with a hard crust. The traditional Neapolitan pizza has a softer base, which may be unfamiliar to some.
Another mistake is holding the pizza by the crust. While it is not recommended to grab it by the cheese-strings, lifting Neapolitan pizza by the crust can cause the toppings to slide off, resulting in a soggy piece of dough.
Lastly, cutting Neapolitan pizza into slices is not the proper way to enjoy it. Instead, folding it like a wallet is the traditional method. This technique, derived from the idea of eating pizza on the street, minimizes leakage and ensures that the toppings stay intact.
Tips For Making Healthy Pizza Choices
1) Opt for a Whole-Grain Crust: Create your own using this quick and easy recipe to add extra fiber and protein to each satisfying slice.
2) Choose Lighter Cheeses: Combine part-skim mozzarella, sharp provolone, and naturally lower-fat Parmesan for big flavor and fewer calories.
3) Load Up On Veggies: Utilize pizza night as an opportunity to use up whatever you have in the fridge – no rules, just toss it on.
4) Mind Your Portions: Pay attention to your pizza portions to avoid mindlessly shoveling food – do you truly need that third or fourth slice?
5) Select Healthier Toppings: Instead of excessive cheese, opt for hearty and healthy options like roasted squash and meaty mushrooms.
6) Opt for Leaner Meats: Enjoy meaty toppings by swapping out fatty options like pepperoni and pork sausage with thinly sliced (leaner) cuts of salami, turkey bacon, and chicken sausage.
7) Serve with Salad: Accompany your pizza with a sizable salad to make it easier to adhere to tip No. 4 mentioned above.
8) Use Homemade Sauce: Most jarred pizza sauces are high in sodium and preservatives. Enhance the quality of any pizza recipe by making your own, exploring options beyond red sauce such as pesto or good olive oil with fresh garlic.
9) Add Spice: Opt for spiciness over greasiness. Fresh chiles and red pepper flakes complement more subtle flavors like fresh tomatoes and herbs.
10) Include Protein: Make your pizza a super satisfying meal by adding lean steak, grilled chicken, shrimp, or other lean proteins.
Also, try: how many pizzas for 40 people
Where Can I Get The Healthiest Pizza?
When looking for healthier pizza options, it’s important to keep in mind that the nutritional content can vary greatly depending on the specific restaurant or brand. However, some chains and local pizzerias may offer healthier alternatives such as whole-wheat crusts, leaner protein options, and fresh vegetable toppings. Some popular national chains known for offering healthier pizza options include Blaze Pizza, MOD Pizza, and Pieology. Additionally, smaller local pizzerias may also offer healthier options, so it’s always worth asking about ingredient choices and customization options.
Tips For Eating Healthy And Enjoying Pizza
- Choose lean protein: Instead of processed meats like pepperoni and bacon, opt for healthier options like grilled chicken to increase your protein intake.
- Opt for whole-grain crusts: Increase the fiber content of your pizza by selecting whole-grain crusts, which are more nutritious than their refined counterparts.
- Select sauce with no added sugar: Keep the sugar content of your pizza to a minimum by choosing brands that contain no added sugar in their sauce.
Remember, you can still enjoy pizza while making healthier choices.
FAQ: Slice Of Pizza
How many calories in a typical slice of pizza?
On average, a typical slice of cheese pizza can range from 200 to 400 calories depending on factors such as size, type of crust, toppings, and sauces.
Is 4 slices of pizza too much?
Consuming four slices of pizza or more on a regular basis may be excessive, considering its high saturated fat content from cheese and processed meat toppings. This can elevate cholesterol levels and pose a risk for heart disease, leading to detrimental health consequences.
How many slices of pizza is 700 calories?
One slice of cheese pizza contains approximately 700 calories.
How many calories are in 2 slices of regular pizza?
It is typically estimated that two slices of regular pizza can contain anywhere from 300 to 600 calories. For a more precise estimation, it is advisable to review the nutritional information provided by the pizza provider.
How many calories are in 1 large pizza slice?
The caloric content of a large pizza slice can vary between 200 to 290 calories. Therefore, a 250-calorie estimate is considered a reliable approximation.
Bobby Kelly is a bartender at Molly Magees, an Irish pub in Mountain View. He’s been working there for two years and has developed a following among the regulars. Bobby is known for his friendly demeanor and great drink specials. He loves interacting with customers and making them feel welcome. When he’s not at work, Bobby enjoys spending time with his friends and family.